We think having two schools at the cathedral –The Community Preschool and Cathedral School for Boys – is one of the neatest things about Grace Cathedral. The Community Preschool seeks the richness of a diverse classroom by intentionally enrolling families from the varied socio-economic backgrounds, ethnicities, religious traditions, gender identities and cultures represented in the city of San Francisco. It is an extraordinary early childhood program that prepares children not just for kindergarten success, but for life itself.
The Community Preschool is a 5-day a week, twelve month program. The school day is from 9:30 am – 3:30 pm. We also offer early care (8 am – 9:30 am) and afternoon extended care (3:30 pm – 6 pm).
For more information on the admissions process, please email Brooke Giesen, Director, or call her at 415-749-6383.
Get updates from The Community Preschool’s Facebook page.
Our Mission Statement
- The Community Preschool will provide a balanced educational learning experience for children of ages three to five years old and their families.
- Children from all socio-economic backgrounds, ethnicities, religious traditions, places of national origin, gender identity, ability and family structure will benefit from a program that addresses the emotional, social, artistic, language, literacy, motor skills, scientific inquiry and critical thinking skills of every child.
- The school will celebrate the religious and cultural traditions of all members of the community.
- The school will prepare students and their families to meet the high standards for success in elementary programs in both the private and public sectors.
Our Vision Statement
- Our vision is for every child to have equal access to a high quality education, in development of just, independent, creative, empowered and respected lifelong learners and their supported and supporting families.
What We Provide
- A developmentally appropriate full-day program for children ages three to five
- A professional teaching staff and high teacher/child ratios: one teacher for every five kids
- Classroom areas for art, discovery/science, writing and pre-literacy, dramatic play, small/large group activities
- A location on the beautiful grounds of Grace Cathedral on Nob Hill
- Daily hot lunch and two snacks by Acre Gourmet, with all food made on-site using local and organic ingredients
A limited number of partial scholarships are available to families who demonstrate need for care and eligibility based on household income. These partial discounts vary from a 30% to 70% discount off the annual tuition. Full scholarships are also available, with eligibility based on Tenderloin neighborhood residency (or other at-risk neighborhood) and household income. The Community Preschool is also a participating preschool in San Francisco’s Preschool For All (PFA) initiative, which provides a tuition discount to all city-resident children during their pre-kindergarten year.
The Community Preschool gratefully acknowledges these foundations and corporations for their generous annual support of high-quality, intentionally diverse early childhood education.